"The Port of Whales"
The following section is taken from the book, The History of the Parish of Banchory-Devenick by John A Henderson. (1890)
Estate and Village of Portlethen
"This estate, which embraces the village of Portlethen, comprises
720 acres, and was formerly comprehended in the Barony of Findon. It is situated on the coast, south of Findon, from which it is divided by a deep ravine and small rivulet. According to "an old writer", cited in the Book
of Bon-Accord, Portlethen is more correctly "Port - Leviathan," so called, by reason of certain whales that came ashore there."